What is Planning Permission?

Planning permission applications, not to be confused with building regulations. For domestic properties, planning consent relates to changes in the appearance or use of buildings such as an extension to a house, or a conversion of a house into flats. Planning should not be confused with the Building Regulations that are entirely separate – Planning can be one of the main hurdles to clear when thinking about making changes or extensions to your home and needs to be given consideration from the start. It may be possible that your project can be done within permitted development – Bothams Architectural Design will be able to advise you of this during your initial visit.

What is permitted development?

For small house extensions and alterations to your property, your proposals may fall within your Permitted Development Rights which means that planning permission will not be necessary. There are a number of limits on height, volume (in cubic meters) etc. that your proposals need to be within for permitted development to apply. If your project is eligible for permitted development we would recommend that you apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development to confirm this. The application needs to be supported by suitable drawings and calculations of which Bothams Architectural Design can help provide.

Are there different planning rules for a listed building?

Buildings of particular architectural interest are often officially Listed and thereby protected. Many residential buildings are listed Grade 2 which means that all alterations (not just those to the outside or original parts) have to be approved under Listed Building Consent. Making a Listed Building Consent application is similar to making a planning application for your property – but with a few differences. The process may be handled by a conservation officer within your local planning department or might be referred to English Heritage and there is no application fee. As with standard planning permissions Botham Architectural Design can help you with this.

Are there different planning rules for a conservation area?

Living in a conservation area usually means that changes to the external appearance of your property will be a particularly sensitive issue. You will probably need to complete an application for Conservation Area Consent. Again, it is advisable to check with your local planning department or ask Bothams Architectural Design to do this for you.

What will I need in order to make a planning application?

Following your initial free of charge consultation with Bothams Architectural Design and following the issue of sketch schemes of which you will review and confirm your agreement to Bothams Architectural Design will then advance their proposed drawings ready for a full planning submission to your local authority. As a guide it generally takes 8 weeks from submission of a planning application to a decision. Please note you will require a location plan and a statutory application fee to accompany your application to extend your home or add additional rooms.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *